Have you ever felt tooth pain and ignored it? If you said yes, you are not alone. Many of us take a “wait and see” approach because we feel like we should not run to the doctor with every ache and pain. With toothaches, however, that is not a good policy. Tooth pain is always a signal of a larger problem. More than likely, the pain will return later and possibly even stronger, after the cavity or infection worsens. Dr. James Lesinski urges patients with tooth pain at his Amherst, NY, practice, to call immediately to schedule treatment, and offers emergency dental care visits, too.
Recognizing the Symptoms of a Cavity
Learning the signs of decay or infection is the first step to protecting your smile. Early detection and treatment not only saves the health of your smile, it protects your comfort and your budget. Early warning signs include:
- Tooth sensitivity to hot or cold
- Tooth pain or ache
- Bad breath
- Bad taste in the mouth
- Swollen, red gums around the painful tooth
- An abscess near the painful tooth
- Discoloration of the tooth
You Can Prevent Tooth Pain with a Good Oral Health Regimen
While regular cleanings and exams are essential, there is a lot you can do at home. A good dental care routine coupled with good nutrition can go a long way to maintaining a healthy, attractive smile:
- Floss daily to ensure that you remove the food debris and bacteria between the teeth.
- Brush at least twice per day to prevent the plaque that will lead to a cavity from building up on your teeth.
- Limit sugary foods and drinks. They provide the right environment for decay and infection. Opt instead for fruits and vegetables. The fiber in these foods can effectively displace some of the bacteria and plaque.
- If you have tooth pain, call Dr. Lesinski. Do not hesitate. Tooth pain is always the sign of a deeper issue.
For more information about cavity prevention, or to schedule a consultation for tooth pain in Amherst, NY, call our office today. Dr. James Lesinski offers gentle, high quality dental care to improve and maintain your smile.
Currently rated by 0 people